Sunday, October 30, 2005

5 Miles!

I ran 5 miles today...Oh yeah! It felt good.

Last night when I went to bed, there was about 2-3 inches of snow on the ground - to my surprise, when I woke up this morning, it was gone, all gone, AND it was 70 degrees out. That's New England weather for ya!

So, I decided to go up to the beach and run. I mapped out a 5 mile route with my cah. It seemed soooo long when I was driving it, I kept thinking to myself "whoa...this is really really fah.....am I going to make it?" So I pahked my cah at the opposite end of the route. If I wanted to get home, I had no choice but to run to the end, that's where the cah was. (a lil' Beantown humah for ya...honestly though...that's really how I tawk!)

Off I went. I started off at a slower than usual pace, and kept it the whole way. At least I think I did. My watch shit the bed at around 19:00 minutes into running, so I had no way of keeping track of my time. Note to self: Buy new watch, a good one, no more 10 buck chuck that only lasts 3 months - oh yeah....and get some body glide. Under my arm, tricep area.....is on FIRE! OUCH!
Back to the run....I was running at a good pace, feeling fine, things were good. I made 2 water stops, which I walked through, and for a split second, and I mean split, I stopped. Not because anything was bothering me, or because I was tired, or winded, but because in my head, I was thinking that I should of stopped by now. Who did I think I was running 5 miles and not stopping? Just as soon as I stopped, I did a mental check - Legs good: Check - Breathing good: Check - Hydrated: Check..THEN WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU STOPPING FOR??? I kicked it back up into running mode and off I went. End result: 5 miles 1:02. Not too shabby, if I do say so myself!
This was the longest distance I have run to date, mileage and time wise. I just may take my co-worker up on the 10K that she's been bugging me to run. I'm going to check in with her tomorrow to find out when it is. I think that if I start a 10K training routine, I'll be ready around January. We'll see.

I am signing up this week for a 4miler on Thanksgiving Day. I hope it's not snowy. I'm not sure how I am feeling about running in the cold/rainy/snowy weather. I think I may have to go back to the treadmill for the winter....BOOOO!! My running club uses the Tufts University track in the winter, I'm going to see if they have open hours to the public. That would be better for me. I get bored on the treadmill, and I find that I run slower on it.

I think I need to change my eating habits to those of a runner.....but that's a whole nother' post! I'll save that for next time.

5 Comments:

At Monday, October 31, 2005 6:51:00 AM, Blogger jeanne said...

Hey, RSF, I used to live in Boston, and LOVED it! Best city on earth! Thanks so much for your comments. It's funny, I said practically the same thing to a.maria, when she expressed disappointment in her marathon, like two weeks ago! I think it takes a day for reality to fully sink in. I think I was (maybe still am!) in a total daze last night, but I'm starting to think the time was OK, probably just what it should have been. I just wish I had felt stronger during the race; that's bothering me!
Anyway, great 5 mile run recap!!

 
At Monday, October 31, 2005 9:57:00 AM, Blogger taskette said...

Sounds like you had a good run! I'm sure you'll be fine doing a 10K expecially since you have at least 2 months to work on training. You should do it!! Good luck on your 4 miler!!

 
At Wednesday, November 02, 2005 12:52:00 PM, Blogger Running Chick said...

your boston-speak cracked me up. tee hee.

 
At Friday, November 04, 2005 11:15:00 AM, Blogger The Clyde said...

Instead of driving all over, you can use this to help map out how far you ran.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?centerX=-85.55478572845459¢erY=42.79659728465777&spanX=0.02785205841064453&spanY=0.017949300751681108&zl=2&polyline

It's pretty accurate, and if you hit "hybrid" in the upper right it actual has a photo of the area if you want to run trails around you.

You can thank me later...good luck with your runs. (That could sound bad if you take it the wrong way, but you get what I mean)

 
At Monday, November 14, 2005 2:28:00 PM, Blogger RunderWoman said...

Hey RSF...

I used to get that tricep burn thing every winter, but then a friend suggested Neutrogena bath and shower oil (I think that's what it's called). You towel off after the shower and put it on when you are still damp. It is SO much better than using lotion once you are already dry! No more flaky/chafed parts! It's about $10/bottle, and totally worth it because the bottle lasts at least 6 months. Anyway, that's my 2 cents!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home