Monday, December 05, 2005

My left foot

I did something to my left Achilles…not sure what, and not sure when it happened. When I flex my foot and point my toes to the ground, that’s when I feel it. Not like an excruciating pain, but more like a really bad bruise. I don’t remember hitting the back of my ankle or it hurting while I was running…so I’m not sure what’s going on with it. It’s a mystery. I figure instead of running on it and possibly making it worse, I would rest it for a minute. I haven’t been running in 8 days, which is more like 11,520 minutes….but who’s counting! Even with the 8 days rest, my foot is still tender.

The weather here is sooooo cold and now it’s snowy and icy on the roads. I think I am going to start back with some weight training at the gym. I know myself, and I cannot run on the treadmill for really long periods of time, I am going to have to start mixin’ it up at the gym.

If my foot is feeling any better, I will join my running club at the in-door track tomorrow night.

That’s all I have for running news…….pretty boring, I know.

8 Comments:

At Tuesday, December 06, 2005 11:19:00 AM, Blogger Okolo said...

Hey, I've got the same issues as you.

I tried some orthodics and I got the most annoying blister on my foot.

I also have issues with my left Achilles.

Best advice I have is take some time off, ice, ice, and more ice, multiple times a day, and when/if you do run, take it easy and nice short strides.

Mine isn't totally gone, but I'm trying to convince myself it isn't "pain" anymore, just sore. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Ice!!!

BTW, I've been doing all kinds of experimenting. With orthodics, without, I even bought a new pair of shoes. I've got flat feet and everyone always puts me in the super supportive shoe, but someone finally watched me run and said nope, you just need a normal show. We'll see..

Okay, I wrote way too much, sorry.

Okolo
www.okolo.org

 
At Tuesday, December 06, 2005 9:36:00 PM, Blogger christine said...

Bummer about your foot....sounds like your doing the right thing by backing off and focusing on other ways to keep fit. You'll be good in no time!!!

 
At Wednesday, December 07, 2005 5:27:00 AM, Blogger susie said...

That's ONE injury I haven't had, so I have no advice. But I have been able to rebound from my others with rest, stretching, and exercising. Good luck!

 
At Thursday, December 08, 2005 5:35:00 AM, Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

Hang in there SoxFan - hope that foot feels better. I guess that's one good thing about the weather. You won't be tempted to run on icy sidewalks!

 
At Friday, December 09, 2005 12:23:00 PM, Blogger a.maria said...

hmmm. dont know what to tell ya for the foot, but i'm a big fan of mixin' it up. maybe strengthening various muscles will help it heal?!
(i obviously dont know what i'm talkin' about!)

 
At Sunday, December 11, 2005 2:34:00 PM, Blogger David said...

If the achilles hurts I stretch it, ever so slightly, hold it for six seconds, let up and keep stretching until I notice a difference. It clears up in a week.
Good luck.

 
At Sunday, December 11, 2005 7:58:00 PM, Anonymous Okolo said...

My coach told me not to stretch a hurt Achilles.

Basically when it hurts it means some of the "stuff" is torn. Don't want to stretch it.


Okolo

 
At Monday, December 12, 2005 7:04:00 AM, Blogger The Running Red Sox Fan said...

Well.....it's over 2 weeks now and my foot isn't feeling any better. I haven't been stretching it. I have basically just been resting it and not running. Thank you all for the concern and the tips.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home