Saturday, May 06, 2006

Day 1

Today was the first official day of my marathon training. yeah!! I got up at 6:30AM, mind you I haven't seen 6:30AM on a Saturday in gawd knows how long, so I dragged my butt out of bed, got dressed and off I went. It is a really nice day out, perfect for running around the Charles. I get there, they had a sign in process, a little bit of a seminar type deal, and then the 3 mile run to figure out what color pace group you will be in. It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that I was going to be in the red(=SLOW) colored group.

So lets tawk about the run.......let me just fill you in a minute.....I haven't been running in 3 weeks. My uncle was sick and past away suddenly a little over three weeks ago at the very young age of 57. It's been a very emotional and trying time, and I just haven't been running. I have known I was going to sign up for this particular training group months ago, and their meeting spot is in Cambridge at an American Legion Post. The same American Legion Post that my uncle that past was the Grand Poohbah/Commander at. He ran the place, as well as being a fireman for 30 years. So we had been talking about meeting there and blah blah blah blah......and then he gets sick and dies. So today I go there, and I had to kind of prepare myself to be there, but it didn't work, all I could think about was my uncle. My family is very close. It was terrible. I did everything not to cry, because I didn't want these people to think I was some kind of whack job joining their group. So I pretty much held it together.......until the run. I'm feeling good, I have my i-pod, I'm running at a good pace......and seeing as I haven't been running in awhile, I forgot what songs I had updated my i-pod with....all of sudden, Melissa Ethridge's I run for life comes on (my uncle died of cancer, as well as my grandmother) and I just about lost it. I love that song, and it has never really had an effect on me before, I just kind of liked the sentiment, but today boy....let me tell you, it knocked my socks off. It actually inspired me. I ran a good 3 miles, a little slower than usual, 35:10 but none the less a good three miles. I really just felt great to be alive and healthy. Kind of put things in perspective........

We meet on Sat. mornings and they give us a schedule to follow during the week. Not too bad, I think I can handle it. The people seem really nice and try to make the training fun. I like that. So we'll see. Here's to new beginnings!

4 Comments:

At Saturday, May 06, 2006 11:49:00 AM, Blogger neese said...

I'm glad I found your blog on "Day 1" - good for you to begin this training.

I am sorry for the loss of your Uncle.

I will have to look for the Melissa E. song, i'm not sure I know that one.

happy running,
neese

 
At Sunday, May 07, 2006 11:37:00 AM, Blogger David said...

Well you certainly found an emotional connection to work with, between your uncle and this training program. He'd be proud of you for taking it on, I'm sure. Stick to the plan and feel good about it.
Go Sox.

 
At Wednesday, May 10, 2006 5:50:00 PM, Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

Sorry to hear about your uncle. Hopefully the running is a good catharsis for you.

 
At Sunday, May 14, 2006 6:54:00 PM, Blogger jeanne said...

Wow, what a tough thing to do. I can only imagine. He's watching you, and he's so proud.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home