Sunday, June 25, 2006

7.5 mile Road Race

I'm back, San Diego was amazing. This wasn't my first time there, but it never gets old. I love it there. The weather could have been better, but I'm not complaining seeing as it hasn't stopped raining here since I've been back. I kept my word and got my running in SD. It was awesome. I ran a couple days and got in my long run which I am going to estimate to have been approximately 7.5 or 8 miles. It was a nice sunny morning, got a little sunburn on my shoulders and ran entirely along the beach....ahhhhh....!! It was great. After the run I had a nice frozen Pina Colada waiting for me by the pool. My friends thought I was crazy for getting up and running, but I was glad I did it.

This week I kind of slacked off on my training.....like I said it's been rainy and muggy and just gross here. I only ran once this week on Tuesday for about 3 miles.

Today I ran a 7.5 mile road race. Seeing as I only ran once this week, I didn't think I was going to be prepared, but I was, well...I finished anyways. I don't have my official chip time, but my watch clocked 1:31 when I crossed the finish line. That was with one porta-pottie stop and I walked during the water stops. I'll post my official chip time once they are available. Did I mention that it was pouring rain for the first 30 minutes of the run......then it was off and on with a lingering drizzle. Rain sucks! I think I may have mentioned that once or twice in previous posts. It seems like all it ever does here is rain.....Doesn't mother nature know that I NEED A TAN!!! Enough already.

So that's it on the running tip. Things are going good. I think I'm going to invest in some new sneakers this week. I went to the running store last week-end and I bought one of those fanny pack looking thingys with a water bottle attached to them....you know what I mean. I got the one where the water bottle is on the back. It's really not my thang....but I had to put hydration before my fashion needs. I nearly died of thirst last week-end on my long run. I have to learn to prepare better.....live and learn! So now I have my "fanny bottle" and I also bought some GU, which I haven't tried yet. I read that you should use it if you run over an hour, so maybe on my next long run I'll give it whirl. I just stuck with the vanilla, I figure you can't go wrong with vanilla. It feels kind of gross in the packet, I don't know if I'm going to be able to swallow that down. I'll try anything once so if it's not for me, on to something else.

5 Comments:

At Sunday, June 25, 2006 9:34:00 PM, Blogger runnergirl said...

Good luck with the Gu. Personally, I don't mind it, but a lot of people can't stand it. There are lots of other options out there, though. And some of the flavors are much better than others.

 
At Monday, June 26, 2006 12:09:00 PM, Blogger a.maria said...

GU ROCKS!! vanilla bean is my favorite, and from working several water stops i know it and TRIBERRY are very VERY popular. i stick with vanilla bean though..

that being said, i almost gagged/puked (no. literally) the first time i tried the stuff. i'm a texture person though, so it was that, not the taste, that got me...

just be sure to take the GU in 2 or 3 mouthfulls. DON'T squeeze all of it into your mouth at once. trust me on that one... and immediately drink water. helps break it down in your mouth/tummy. i'm finally at the point where i can take it without having water in my mouth at the same time, but like i said.. that took a while!

every 45 mins to an hour is what i do. works like a charm. hope you like it!

if not, like runnergirl said, there are tons of options!

glad you made it back! jealous you had such a long vacay!!

 
At Monday, June 26, 2006 2:33:00 PM, Blogger susie said...

I bought one of those, too. I use it now for anything longer than an hour run. And I agree about the rain. Ugh. It has rained in VA for a couple of days now...and the prediction is four or five more. Help................

 
At Monday, June 26, 2006 7:25:00 PM, Blogger David said...

It's raining all along the east coast it seems. We're underwater in Florida too. I need to mow the lawn twice a week.
As I wrote somewhere recently I endorse Gu in small doses and in Orange, Plain and Lemon Lime flavors. Having water helps too. Bottom line - without water, don't take in any more than the amount of saliva you can generate in your mouth to break it down.

 
At Friday, July 07, 2006 8:24:00 PM, Blogger jeanne said...

yes, gu, followed by water, lots of it! but now i have a new love: clif blocks! almost like gummy bears! nice run!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home