Sunday, July 16, 2006

10 miles and lots o' questions

The shins are a whole lot better. The resting and ice helped.

I ran with the club yesterday, 10 miles. A looong, hot, mentally challenging, unmotivated, grueling 10 miles. I stopped and walked a few times, because I could feel the shins twinging. Since this was my first long run in 2 weeks, I didn't want to push it with the shins. I was going to cut the run to 7 miles, but once I got to the 7 mile mark, I figured what's 3 more miles.......so I kept on running/walking. I lost track of my time because my watch was doing some crazy stuff....but I think it took me somewhere in the 2 hour 15 minute mark....I think.
I haven't tried the Gu yet......I'm ascared!! I took like 2 bites of a Cliff bar about an hour and ten minutes into the run. I could barely get it down, even with water. My body wanted nothing to do with food at that point. I think I'm going to try jelly beans next week.

Next week-end I am off to the Cape for a long week-end. I have a 14 miler scheduled. The first thing I am going to do when I get down there, is to map out the route I'm going to run. I like running in different places, for some reason when I get away from my usual route I run a whole lot better. Let's see how Cape Cod running treats me, hopefully better than yesterdays run on the Charles!

Questions:

Is it "normal" to stop and walk for a minute or two during your runs (all distances)? I feel like I stop/walk often, I just want to know if people are continuously running 5, 10, 12, 14 miles at a time without stopping?

and,

I am struggling with speedwork, it is doing a serious number on my shins. Does hill training build enough strength in your legs to cut back on speedwork? I can do hills like nobodies business, but speed work......fuhgetaboutit. Do I have to do speedwork?

One more thing.....I have a picture I wanted to post here, but I don't know how to do it.....HELP. How are you all getting pictures posted to your blogs? I really am computer savvy, but for some reason I can't figure this picture thing out!

5 Comments:

At Sunday, July 16, 2006 12:27:00 PM, Blogger runnergirl said...

It's not that hard to add a picture. You do it from the page where you compose your posts. You just click on the little icon at the top that has looks like a blue sky with a mountain, or whatever. It's near the far right end of the icons. That'll take you to the page where you can search your computer for the pic you want to ad, choose the layout and size, and it'll upload it. Then you can type the rest of your post. Normally it works, no problem. But, as one blogger recently put it, blogger has PMS and isn't cooperating. So, it hasn't been working the past few days.

 
At Wednesday, July 19, 2006 4:01:00 PM, Blogger RunderWoman said...

Whoo, 10 miles! I'm not running more than 6 miles at a time yet, but I still stop and walk once or twice on most long runs, if my heart monitor reads that I'm close to impending death. :) I think it's a matter of learning to pace myself better so I can keep my heart rate lower while still technically running.

 
At Thursday, July 20, 2006 11:31:00 AM, Blogger a.maria said...

ok, one...

if you're a newbie (i still consider myself a newbie. one year is still new) then *i* think its totally normal to walk. by the end of training (the first time around) i was able to run the first 18 miles of the m'thon with only stopping at the water stops.

which is about every 2 miles.

then i had knee problems, but that doesn't count.

so, if walking helps you last longer, and you're not trying to win the damn thing, i say just work on slowly stretching your walking breaks out a few minutes at a time more each long run, and you'll be money.

(then again, what do i know?)

speedwork: hills will help. if you're having shin problems with the track stuff, and you're newish to running, i say forego the speed until your body is more comfortable with it, and up the hill work. thats pretty much what everyone told me, so i'm just passing that along.
(i'm the same with the speed vs. hills. but i'm trying SO HARD to do the speed once a week. i think it really does help.)

thirdly... photos.

like runnergirl said, there's a button at the top of the box you type your post in, that looks like a mini-foto of a mountain? if you hit that, it'll open up a new window that allows you to search for the pic you want and will download it, etc.

HOWEVER.

if the pic you have is already online (if youre familiar with photobucket.com ???) then you just need one simple piece of code...

that i'll email you b/c i don't think i can put it in the comment section, it screws it up.

but its easy.

anyway. take this advice while keeping in mind i've been running barely a year and am slow as molasses, but hopefully it helped!

 
At Thursday, July 20, 2006 11:31:00 AM, Blogger a.maria said...

(whoa. that was a really long comment.)

 
At Thursday, July 20, 2006 6:27:00 PM, Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Yes! Walk if you need it. Push yourself a little father than you think you can go, but no sense bonking on a training run.

Oh, and the Gu tastes better when you are running. Seriously.

I ran at the cape before, up in Orleans. There's a running/biking bath that goes on for probably 30 miles. Its smooth and nice and at one point there was a bathroom. It looked like a little white utility shed, but then I saw the vent at the top and knew what it was. Yea! :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home