Sunday, September 10, 2006

A crappy run!

I didn't run the 25K last week. I got a little nervous and backed out. I ended up running on my own. I only got in around 10 because my sister called me to come home. There was a little problem with the contractor that is doing work on our house. Maybe I got in a little over 10....

So this week-end was my big 18 miler. This would be the longest distance to date.
The run started off GREAT, I even made a comment to some of my group members that, "I think this is the best run I have had all training".....ummmm ya.....can you say JINX????

We get to mile 6 and I can feel my stomach gurgling, so I run into a Starbucks, just to be safe.....what a nightmare....from that point on I pretty much ran bathroom to bathroom. It was U-G-L-Y!!!

I hit mile 13 and make another pit stop and off I went. I then begin to realize that that was the last of the available bathrooms. There aren't any more bathrooms until I hit mile 18! OMG, OMG, OMG!!! What am I going to do???

I make it to mile 14 and at this point, it's almost impossible for me to run anymore, I duck into the woods.......ya, that was fun!! Honestly! Does it get any lower than this???

I knew that we had a water stop set up at mile 15, so I pretty much walked there, being ever so careful not to walk too fast. At this point, the cramps in my stomach were sooooo bad, that I started to dry heave because I didn't want to crap my pants!!! It had to come out one way or the other......!!! I know, TMI, sorry, but it was THAT bad.
What an awful feeling. Honestly, I have never in my life felt like that before.
I get to the 15 mile water stop and hitch a ride back to the starting point.
I have never been so mad at myself. For once in this crazy running/training program, I really was having a great run.....then this had to happen. I was truly feeling like a "real" runner, until I almost crapped my pants, then I felt more like a 2 year old child!

The only thing different that I did for this run was that I took two Aleve before the run. My knee has been hurting since my last long run and I needed something. Everyone in my group was chalking my stomach issues up to this. I know, never try anything different before a long run......Lesson learned!

About my knee....The pain is a small section on the inner right knee cap, it feels like a really really bad bruise, but there is no bruise there. I rested it all week and it started to feel better, but after yesterdays run, it is KILLING me. Icing it doesn't help, so I am going to try and wrap it. I can't get hurt now......no way.....the marathon is right around the corner.

I am running a 30K on Saturday. I'm nervous, but I'm not backing out. I have to do this. This will be my second to last long run before I start to taper.....woohoo!!

I have the 18 miler and then a 22 miler, then that's it......back down to 10! I can't wait. I just want to run this marathon already!!

7 Comments:

At Monday, September 11, 2006 4:44:00 AM, Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Ah yes. I had a "run" like that. I think it was 12 miles, but I'm not sure. Only one bathroom. It was crazy. Its amazing how much it just destroys you isn't it? Its like your entire body just stops burning sugar until you go do something about it. No power, no energy. I thought I was going to die.

I never knew what it was that I ate, but given how long it takes to digest, it was probably something you ate the night before and not that morning.

Chalk it up to experience and move forward. Just watch that tummy on the next one.

 
At Monday, September 11, 2006 4:51:00 AM, Blogger David said...

I have been fortunate to only have that happen once to me. Thank goodness for construction sites and their port-a-potties (not that they are any too pretty).
I hope that knee starts behaving soon. Are you running Bay to Breakers?

 
At Monday, September 11, 2006 1:10:00 PM, Blogger Jennifa......G said...

I hope your knee is feeling better. I just wanted to say that you kicked butt and stuck with it even after all the horrible pit stops. That makes you a "real" runner in my book. Wishing you lots of luck running your 30k.

 
At Wednesday, September 13, 2006 6:14:00 PM, Blogger Michelle 595 days said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I appreciate the comment.

I can't believe you kept running under those um...icky circumstances. I just love a runners tenacity.

I hope your knee heals fast.

Thanks again for the comment.

 
At Sunday, September 17, 2006 10:21:00 PM, Blogger MotownRunnerGirl said...

the very same thing happened to me on my very first long distance event, the indianapolis 1/2 marathon about four years ago. it SUCKED!! luckily hasn't happened as bad again. i think it's nerves or maybe something you ate. what marathon are you training for?

 
At Tuesday, September 19, 2006 8:37:00 PM, Blogger teacherwoman said...

I don't get to watch too many Red Sox games, due to the lack of them on TV in ND. But I did get to see the end of last nights game when they beat the Yankees! That was great! I do like the Red Sox, but they aren't my Twins!

Too bad my Twins beat them tonight!

 
At Friday, September 22, 2006 8:08:00 PM, Blogger jeanne said...

oh i feel your pain...i have had the same thing happen...and I didn't make it to the bathroom! It happened a few more times and then i started taking immodium, i was so scared...and cut out all dairy...and i read up on runners' trots, and one of the main causes is dehydration!! so i make sure to hydrate like a maniac. so far, so good. also, no food after 7 p.m. the night before. oh yeah, and i get up 2 hours early just to make sure IT happens before i leave the house!

i hope this helps! and GOOD LUCK!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home