Saturday, October 07, 2006

Almost there.....!!!

Since I wasn't running my 22 miler with my training group, my coach advised me to only run 21! woohoo.....honestly....what's one mile at this point. Well I soon found out that one mile is HUGE at this point!
I ran my 21 miler with a friend of mine and her training group. It turned out to be a rather warm, humid day. Yuck. We started out a little slower than usual, cuz that's what they say to do! and off we went. The group that we were running with had little water/fuel stops and aid stations along the way. It was just what we needed to get us through the run. We stopped at each one, some longer than others....to regain our composure, pick ourselves up by the shoe laces and keep our asses moving. There were points along the way where believe it or not, I got her through it and vice versa. I've never really run with a partner before, and I found that the support of just having someone else beside you is amazing. We talked some of the way and other times just knowing that she was there kept me going. It was a great support system for this verrrry loooong run.
At around mile 20, my left hip started hurting and running buddies knee was hurting. Other than that, we were feeling good.
I wish I could say that we finished strong, but we didn't. We were both dragging our asses and barely making a stride when we hit home base. BUT.....we finished, and that in it self is amazing.
We finished at 4:55 and that includes a bathroom stop at a hotel, and 7 water station stops and when I say stops.......I mean, we stopped. Not that I want to set a goal for my marathon, because my goal is really just to finish, but I think I can do it in 5:30......maybe. We'll see.

So it's been taper for me!

Last week I ran an 8 miler for my long run and then just ran for about 40 minutes twice. I am going to run 5 miles tomorrow and 30 minutes twice during the week.....then it's HARTFORD or BUST!!!

I am getting wayyy nervous. My stomach does flips every time I think about it...
which oh BTW, no stomach issues on my 21 miler, I took Immodium the night before and it worked out perfect!

I will post my final pre-marathon report late in the week to let you all know how I am feeling.
I haven't really had a minute to get online and read everyone's posts and updates...I will start reading and commenting today. I hope you all are having great runs!!

11 Comments:

At Saturday, October 07, 2006 2:41:00 PM, Blogger Running Chick said...

hartford! awesome! me too!

look for the orange hat. =)

and remember - smooth and strong!

 
At Saturday, October 07, 2006 10:05:00 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

OOOOOooo, it is getting closer! It sounds like you're ready to do it to it in Hartford. :)

 
At Saturday, October 07, 2006 10:55:00 PM, Blogger MotownRunnerGirl said...

don't be nervous!!! you'll be fantastic!!!

 
At Saturday, October 07, 2006 11:05:00 PM, Blogger jeanne said...

you can totally do 5:30!! standing on your head! don't forget, you won't be stopping at those water stops for long. just grabbing water and going. It will shave precious minutes off your time. Can't wait to read about it!

 
At Saturday, October 07, 2006 11:08:00 PM, Blogger jeanne said...

p.s. it sounds like you were well hydrated too. that can help alleviate stomach (and other) problems. OH I CAN RELATE!

 
At Sunday, October 08, 2006 12:44:00 PM, Blogger David said...

Good work there Running Red Sox fan. Just remember the lessons learned in your 30K when you get to Hartford; and find some buddies along the course to prod you along when you need it and vice versa. If they wimp out on you, find another one.
And def find Dianna in the Orange Hat! She's famous, ya know.

 
At Monday, October 09, 2006 12:23:00 PM, Blogger Kurt in Boston said...

Wow. I hadn't read your blog in a while -- and now you're ready to do a marathon. Way to go! You've done the hard work, now you get to enjoy the taper and then the race itself. Good luck! I'm looking forward to reading about it.

 
At Monday, October 09, 2006 5:37:00 PM, Blogger Jennifa......G said...

I am sooooo excited for you girl! I've been waiting for you to post how everything has been going and it sounds like it has been going really well. I am rooting for you and hope you run a great marathon! I know you will!

 
At Monday, October 09, 2006 7:57:00 PM, Blogger teacherwoman said...

Nice job on your long run! I can only imagine the nervous, butterfly filled stomach feeling...as I too get that sort of feeling. I got that saturday before my 5K...who knows what I would be doing before a marathon!
Enjoy your taper! And good luck. I look forward to hearing about the race!

 
At Monday, October 09, 2006 8:47:00 PM, Blogger runnergirl said...

Great job on the run. Enjoy the taper and good luck on you race! Can't wait to hear all about it.

 
At Friday, October 13, 2006 6:57:00 AM, Anonymous robin said...

I've sort of been having knee problems preparing for my own marathon (Chicago) and while googling for information on it, I stumbled on your blog.

I can relate to all those butterflies that you get, especially since I started my taper almost two weeks ago Sounds like you'll do great though! Good luck on your marathon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home