Sunday, October 15, 2006

Race Report

Where to begin......

I headed down to Hartford on Friday afternoon with Work Friend and some people from her training group who were also running the race. We picked up our packets, drove the course and headed to dinner. We went back to the hotel to prepare for the race. My sister and son arrived later that night. We made some signs and then I went to bed. I changed NOTHING in my routine. I ate a light pasta dinner, drank like a fish all week and took my 2 Immodiums before bed time. I was feeling good!
Woke up, got ready and we all headed to the starting line. It was a cool 38 degrees out! Freezing!!! We went to the port-a-potties and headed over to the start. I met up with my Running Club Friend, who decided that she was going to run with a pace group....this now left me all alone to run this race. I was OK with that, I had gotten used to running and pacing myself with Running Club Friend, but I was prepared enough to do it on my own. I felt confident.

I was looking around for the Orange Hat, but she was no where to be found!

The gun sounded and off I went. It was cold, very cold. I had on a jacket and gloves. The first mile was pretty crowded, just kind of trotting along, warming up. Mile 2 came and went and once I got to mile 3, I had to pee again. I wasn't too concerned with this slowing me down. It was still rather crowded on the streets. I popped into a port-a-pottie, peed and off I went.

Mile 4 - Smooth Sailing - At this point I could see the winners of the half heading back to the finish.....whew-wee are they fast! Amazing.

Mile 5 - Going strong, feeling good.

My sister and my son were setting up camp at Miles 6 and 12, which were just across the street from each other. Miles 4 - 15 were a two lane street with runners headed out on one side, and headed back on the other.

Mile 6 - I see my sister and son, it was so nice to have them there. I didn't stop. I ran by, dropped my jacket and gloves and my sister handed me a pack of Fig Newtons. I have been training with Fig Newtons since the beginning, and usually eat them about an hour into my run.

I usually run with my head down, but since I could see all the other runners making there way back from the turn around, I was watching in amazement at how fast they were. It helped pass the time.

CELEBRITY ALERT - ....and no, I am not talking about Dean Karnazes, although I did see him too. Here I am between Miles 6 and 7, watching the ground and I look up.....and running right towards me on the opposite side of the street, I see an Orange Hat!! Could it be? Is it really her? Are my eyes playing tricks on me? As this "hat" starts getting closer to me, I realize that it is the one and only Running Chick with the Orange Hat. I give a little wave and a shout out "Hey Running Chick"....she turns and acknowledges.....I tried to get out a "Hey it's me, the Running Red Sox Fan"....but she was FLYING!!! She must of had wings on her sneakers....she was blur that whooshed before my eyes! She rocks!!
She must have been like who is this nut job yelling my name! But she's famous, so it probably didn't phase her. Just another one of her fans...!!

Still in between 6 & 7, I see Work Friend and her group, they were running at full force. They yelled out some words of encouragement and threw some love my way and kept on truckin'. (BTW - All 3 of them qualified for Boston) Keep in mind that the other side on miles 6 & 7 are miles 12 & 13.....these people were haulin' ass. A few steps down the road I see Dean, he has a huge crowd of runners with him. It seemed very annoying to me.....he's probably used to it.

Mile 7 - Still feeling good, enjoying myself and running at somewhere around an 11:30 - 12:00 minute mile. This is perfect. UNTIL...I feel like I have to go to the bathroom...hummmm.....what is going on.....I took the Immodium, just like I have been doing......ok,ok,ok....I am going to stop at the next port-a-pottie that I see. There was actually a surplus of port-a-potties along the course. Which was good.
I hop into the port-a-pottie, do my business and off I go. Now we all know that I have had stomach issues before, but I pretty much thought I had them worked out. At this stop, I didn't feel like it was anything major. No cramps, no feeling like I couldn't run with out having an accident, I just had to go to the bathroom. I just kept telling myself, OK, you just had to go to the bathroom, no big deal, it's a fluke, just keep running.
To be on the safe side, I called my sister,(good thing I run with my phone) asked her to go to the car and grab 2 Immodiums out of my bag.

Mile 8 - Rockin' steady, ate my Fig Newtons.

Mile 9 - Feeling good. There was a man in his drive way rocking some Bruce Springsteen Thunder Road....I started singing out loud. He was good.

Mile 10 - Chip time check. I was pretty much on target for a 5:40 finish. Still feeling good.

Mile 11 - A DJ rockin' KISS - IIIII want to rock and roll all niiight.....and party everyday!! good times. For some crazy reason I almost start to cry here. I was just feeling emotional....

Mile 12 - Stopped for a minute to drop off my fuel belt with my sister. My son saw me coming down the road and ran a little with me....awwww...he's the best!!
Grabbed the 2 Immodium and just tucked them into my shorts. I didn't feel the need for them just yet. I was still feeling good. I ate another Fig Newton, drank some water. I checked my time with the pace chart I had given to my sister and I was 10 minutes ahead of my goal time. Go me!

Mile 13 - Oh no......not again....I have to go to the bathroom. WTF. I go the bathroom and this time I knew it wasn't a fluke. This was the real deal. I took the 2 Immodium.

Mile 14 - Feeling OK

Mile 15 - Truckin' along and keeping my fingers crossed.

Mile 16 - Not so good. Diarrhea

Mile 17 - Diarrhea

Mile 18 - Diarrhea - I GU at this point. I wasn't feeling horrible just yet. I knew I needed to keep hydrated and get something in me. There was a crazy ass hill at this point. I walked up it, first time I really stopped to walk.

Mile 19 - Over the bridge. I spot a sign taped to the side of the highway....it says something like " RBF digs the Running Chick" (???? something like that)....now mind you, I'm by myself. I catch the sign out of the corner of my eye....and I say out loud..."HEY, I KNOW HER" ...not really, but kind of!! It was funny.

Mile 20 - Feeling like ass, but still running. At this point the course runs by the finish line, so I can see all these people finishing. So happy!
I start to cry, not because I am happy, but because I know I have 6.2 more miles to go and I am hurting. It's funny because my time at the 20 mile mark was something like 4:38 and when I ran a 20 mile training run (without diarrhea) I ran it in just about 5 hours.
Oh and by the way......who the hell thought this would be a good place to put a hill??? real smart....honestly. I walked up it.
I see Running Club Friend at this point heading to the finish line. We hi-five. So proud of her!

Mile 21 - Diarrhea - very very slow running at this point, really just a shuffle.

Mile 22 - Diarrhea
Walked very slowly and carefully from mile 22 to 23 because there weren't any port-a-potties around and I really thought I was going to go in my pants. It was BAD. I was actually with the marathon walkers at this point. Kind of discouraging. I must say that even some of the walkers were going faster than me.

Mile 23 - Walking...still no port-a-pottie. I told myself that the next port-a-pottie I find, I am going to go to the bathroom and just run like hell to the finish. No stopping.

Somewhere between Mile 23 and 24 - Port-a-pottie. HEAVEN!! I get out and just start running. I can run 2 miles...piece of cake. I just run and run and it was the longest 2 miles I have ever run in my life. I actually shouldn't even be calling it running at this point, but I wasn't walking, so it was running to me.

Mile 25 and a half maybe......A hill.......WTF. Just get me home.

I start to cry at this point. I know the finish is just around the corner. I just want to be there.......make it all go away and get me there. PLEASE!! Someone help me.
I turn the corner to the finish, there is my sister, my son, Work Friend and her group.......YEAH!!! Work Friend and her group run down to meet me and run me in. I'm crying, I'm hurting and I need to go to the bathroom. My son runs me into the finish line.....he's the best and so friggin cute if I do say so myself!!! My sister is taking pictures and everyone is yelling my name. I get my chip removed and this game is over. The end.

Final Time - 6:25.

I know I shouldn't say this, but I'm going to anyways......I'm embarrassed. It wasn't supposed to happen this way. I know I am a better runner than this. I have trained too many hours and too g-damn hard for this to be the end result.

I will on the other hand give myself a pat on the ass, because during this whole entire fiasco, NEVER, NOT ONCE, did it ever cross my mind to not continue on. It just wasn't an option.

The weather was a perfect, couldn't have asked for better, marathon day. There were a couple of points in the race where I was absolutely bone chilled, goose bumps, teeth chattering, body shaking freezing. I am going to say that had to do with me probably getting dehydrated from the runs.

I will also add that I didn't like being out on the route alone. I like having a running partner. I was good for probably the first half of the race, then I got lonely and wished I had someone near me to keep my spirits up and help me along. I know for this race, it probably wouldn't have helped much given my situation. Things were really out of my hands. There was absolutely nothing I could have done differently.

Work Friends friend told me that you can only run the race that you have in you that day............and I guess I just didn't have it in me.

20 Comments:

At Sunday, October 15, 2006 5:38:00 PM, Blogger Kurt in Boston said...

Huge congratulations! You did it. You are a marathoner! You can be so proud of your accomplishment. Your race/journey/struggle is an amazing story of your focus, committment and determinism.

Well done.

 
At Sunday, October 15, 2006 6:56:00 PM, Blogger jeanne said...

You toed the line, and then you crossed the FINISH! Do you know how many people only ever DREAM of doing what you did? of course you are disappointed, that is only natural. Every race has its curve balls. We can all only do so much..and then there are things that are just plain out of our control. Remember when running chick went to san diego and then couldn't even run bcs of cramps?

I've had runner's trots and didn't make it to the portapotty, and there is NOTHING worse! So triple-dipple kudos to you, kiddo, for sticking it out. I'm sure I would have curled into a ball and cried.

I think you're amazing!!! Ready to start thinking about that next mountain to climb? :)

 
At Sunday, October 15, 2006 6:57:00 PM, Blogger Jennifa......G said...

Girl YOU kicked that marathons BUTT! I think you did AWESOME. It takes more then just strength to perservere when obstacles are thrown in your way and the fact that you pushed through despite the cold, loneliness, hills, porta potties and soreness says more to me then any time. You did it! Your my hero :) and I just hope to have half as much of your courage and tenacity. :) Congratulations!

 
At Sunday, October 15, 2006 7:24:00 PM, Blogger MotownRunnerGirl said...

Hi Running Red Sox!! First, thanks for the AWESOME blog entry you left me today. It's amazing the experiences you share with people you haven't even met. Well, I was a reservist actually...a little different from what you did but I think we share similar experiences nonetheless. Your words were kind and I'm happy and strangely melancholic about the closing of a chapter in life, as you eloquently put it. So, now, to your marathon. GO ON WITH YOUR BAD SELF!!!! That's Detroit coming out of me right now. Own this thing and feel proud of yourself. My first marathon sucked in the worst way. I was injured and I hobbled my way to the end with a finish time of 5:39. I too, felt embarrased. I had trained so hard. That's why I did a second marathon. And I felt like I rocked it. But I couldn't have rocked the second one if I hadn't experienced the first, exactly as it happened. All experiences are meant for a reason. They build and give you confidence. Feel proud of yourself. You gave it your best and your best is pretty darned awesome. Hugs. I'm proud of you, Margarita

 
At Sunday, October 15, 2006 7:35:00 PM, Blogger Danny said...

When you finish a marathon, everyone out there congratulates you, and you feel uncomfortble being disappointed with your time. It's like you're not allowed to tell people that you had wanted to do better. Most of them don't understand anyway. After all, you finished...

Well, I'll say a couple of things:

Firstly, I think a lot of people are disappointed with their first marathon. I know I was. I think having everything come together on race day is not as easy as it seems. Even with tons of training runs that all go by without a problem, the actual marathon is a challenge.

Second, finishing a marathon is an accomplishment. After some of the disappointment wears off (with time) you realize what you accomplished with all those months of training. So the actual race day didn't go as planned. I think the accomplishment of the marathon is not all in the race day. You should be proud of all the training as well. And as you say yourself, that determination to get you over the finish line on the tough day.

So congratulations to you!!! Think of how far you've come in a year!

p.s. i love the report. "mile 17 - diarrhea".

 
At Sunday, October 15, 2006 8:09:00 PM, Blogger runr53 said...

Yup, reminds me of the commercial where they sing "Diarrhea!" You did good, you'll do better on the next one, trust me on this, oh and by the way, that may not be your worst time either. Not to get you in a funk, but to illustrate a point, each day brins new challenges, just deal with them as they come and you will perservere! Oh, did anyone tell you the Tigers are the AL Champs! hehe! Run Good!

 
At Monday, October 16, 2006 5:51:00 AM, Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

You did a great job hanging in there under those not so nice conditions. That's horrible when something like that strikes. I had it on a thirteen mile run and it just sucks the strength right out of you. Its frustrating because its your gut and not your legs that are having trouble. You must have had deep reserves to finish a marathon like that.

And it never crossed your mind to not continue? Then you are FAR ahead of where I was. Sounds like your mental conditioning was right on track. That's probably where alot of people break down. You should be very proud for fighting through it.

Rest and get well. Get a massage in a couple days and get a light run in at the end of the week. You fought through alot of physical pain and that's very rough on a body.

Sorry the belly didn't want to cooperate on race day. I know it feels bad to not finish a race like you want to, but it gets better.

Be proud, and wear your medal today.

 
At Monday, October 16, 2006 10:26:00 AM, Blogger WADDLER26.2 said...

Great job and be proud!!! I call the experience you had runner's trots!

 
At Tuesday, October 17, 2006 4:14:00 AM, Blogger David said...

Welcome to the frustrated first time marathoners club. I am currently a member but hope to resign next week in my second marathon.
You did it. You know what it takes. You're a finisher. Now you can be a better one whenever you want.
P.S. I am lending myself to the Tigers fan club until spring training.

 
At Tuesday, October 17, 2006 11:51:00 AM, Blogger Al Durham said...

Great blog entry. I felt like I was right there the whole way with you. Mostly importantly awesome job on completing the race! Things may not always go as planned but what matters is that you did what you had to do to finish! Great job! So when is the next marathon?

 
At Tuesday, October 17, 2006 12:43:00 PM, Blogger Running Chick said...

wow. what a day you had!

and you beat it! you stuck with it when most people would have quit - you could have easily stopped running at mile 20 when you passed the finish area...but you kept going.

you raced the race that was placed before you. and that means that next time, you will be ever stronger.

be proud of what you accomplished!

(and doesn't the last 10K of that course just SUCK?! seriously. the person who designed that needs to be hit. hard. repeatedly.)

 
At Thursday, October 19, 2006 1:09:00 PM, Blogger tntcoach Ken said...

Great job even with the problems! Like the song say’s,” you can plan a perfect picnic, but you can’t predict the weather..”. You learn from these types of experiences.

 
At Saturday, October 28, 2006 7:09:00 AM, Blogger MotownRunnerGirl said...

oh yeah, i've been thinking about this since i read this blog some days ago....maybe it's the fig newtons!!! there's fiber in there, you know.....

also, i hope you keep posting!! i want to keep reading...

margarita

 
At Thursday, March 29, 2007 6:07:00 PM, Blogger Faithful Soles said...

Great post. I have run 16 marathons and no 2 of them are alike, and each time you have to overcome a unique set of struggles. I think you did awesome based on the circumstances.

If you get a chance, please visit my running web site, Faithful Soles. I have a categorized and searchable Running Blog Database on there and would appreciate it if you would link your blog to it. I hope your training has been going well since the post.

 
At Saturday, April 14, 2007 12:05:00 PM, Blogger David said...

Aren't you wishing it was spring time for the Boston Marathon? and to get you out running again?

 
At Tuesday, May 01, 2007 1:56:00 PM, Blogger Robin said...

oh my -- I am JUST seeing this post. May 1st 2007. April 2006 was my 1st marathon. I also did it in 6:25!!!!!! And I felt the same way you did -- dissatisfied.

I was injured, but that didn;t matter at the time. Now I understand but am now still unsatisfied.

So....ya knwo what? We gots to do it again -- this time faster :-)

 
At Monday, May 14, 2007 2:34:00 PM, Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

It takes alot of heart to gut out a race like that. Impressive. Way to respect the race and grind it out.

 
At Wednesday, May 30, 2007 9:04:00 PM, Blogger a.maria said...

hey!?!? where are you!!?! WE MISS YOU!! come back!

 
At Saturday, June 14, 2008 2:52:00 PM, Blogger dag said...

The ONLY thing that matters is that you did it. There are millions of people on this planet who can not say that. Great job@

 
At Sunday, September 05, 2010 11:28:00 PM, Anonymous mizuno wave said...

Nice report! Keep it up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home